Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cheatin' Pea Nuttin' Brownies




If you follow this blog, or you know me, or have ever heard of me, you know that I have deep profound love of all things peanut butter and peanut butter related. Add chocolate to the peanut butter and I am your's forever.

I have been spending the past several weeks on a recumbent bike, pedaling like a mad woman in an effort to rid myself of too many Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Sundaes. The mainstay of my super healthy, all-you-can-eat pregnancies. BaskinRobbins is the work of the devil. I'm just saying!

Anyway, we were having some good friends over yesterday. The perfect excuse for making a dessert and an opportunity for me not to inhale the whole thing.

As I was trolling through the recipe archives (believe me, you have NO idea how huge this archive actually is!) I came upon a really fussy Martha Stewart Peanut Butter Swirl Brownie recipe. Now, there was a time when I would have gone to the store, purchased the requisite amounts of prissy "high quality semi-sweet" and "high quality unsweetened" chocolate. Those days are over. I have two kids that get up anywhere between 3 am and 4:30 am. A trip to the store for Martha's required fussiness is simply out of the question!

Made with real Chocolate Chips, so you know its good!

Luckily, I remembered I had a Trader Joe's Truffle Brownie Mix (I am something of a brownie freak and these are the best I have ever had) hanging around the pantry. I have been fighting hard to resist the urge to whip these up since I bought the mix. I was weary of fighting, so I gave in and jumped into the deep end of the peanut butter-filled pool.

Oh please, come on in and join me, the peanut butter is FINE!!!

Go get yourself some brownie mix. I don't give a damn what kind, but I have found that the cheaper the mix, the better the brownies. Get the store brand if you like. You can even, if you are lucky, pick some up for 99 cents. There isn't much you can get for 99 cents these days!

Peanut Butter Swirl

3/4 cup smooth peanut butter (although, I suppose you could use chunky if you are feeling sassy)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

Prepare the brownie mix as directed on the box. Spread the batter in a parchment lined 8 x 8 x 2 pan. Place dollops of the peanut butter mixture on top and swirl with a knife. Lick off the knife (you know you want to!).


Bake as directed on the brownie box. You might have to bake a little bit longer due to the addition of all the peanut buttery goodness, but the wait is worth it.

Once you have tasted the deliciousness, send me a thank you email! I love to get email...oooh and comments too!



P.S. Do you love edge brownies as much as I do? If you do, go check out this all edge brownie pan! Too cool!

Hello, King Arthur People, send me one. If you do I will say more really really nice things about you!

4 comments:

VagabondHomeschoolMom said...

Oh man that looks good *drool*

momof3under12 said...

oh man. I SO WISH I DIDN"T HAVE A NUT ALLERGY GAL AROUND HERE! I love all things peanut butter and haven't had any in 3 years. And yes, I love the edges too. For sure, the best part of the brownie!

amy said...

oh no!! i actually, somehow, miraculously have all those ingredients in my cupboard. even a STORE BRAND brownie mix - 99 cents max.

i'm also 6 mths pregnant.

this is dangerous.

i blame you for the gestational diabetes i'm about to be diagnosed with.

vertigob said...

Yeah, that would be the chief reason I am riding the bike for an hour each day. Enjoy being pregnant, it is the ideal excuse to indulge yourself! The baby wants brownies, the baby gets brownies!

Besides, if no one sees you eat them, they don't count!