Friday, January 16, 2009

Lorna Doone Cookie Dessert

A very long time ago, I dated this guy. I dated him for a really long time. So long that I am embarrassed to admit how long I dated him. Let's just say, I know of many marriages that failed in less time than I invested in that dead end relationship.

Alright, I will come clean, it was 9 1/2 years. I was young (at least in the beginning) and so very very dumb.

Anyway, The Dead End Guy had this great mother. She was a throwback to another time. Even though I was dating him through out the 80's, she could have been plucked directly from the 1950's. She was June Cleaver, the type of woman that would vacuum in pearls and a dress.

The only time I recall seeing her "dressed down" was a day that I caught her coloring her hair (the horror). She was wearing an old Kenny Rogers concert t-shirt. It was torn and stained over and over again. She had some auburn concoction smeared all over the hair, forehead and the shirt. She was so upset that I would see her in such a state, but I thought it was great.

She thought every meal should be nothing less than four courses. She played bridge, with her husband and with a ladies' group. She was in a bowling league. The had a liquor cabinet that would make the cast of Mad Men blush. She and her icy cold, emotionally abusive husband had drinks most nights before dinner.

She went back to college and the four course meals stopped. Her husband and youngest son hated her new-found independence. I loved it. Now we talked about books, worked on papers, discussed topics from her classes. She was excited to be learning new things and wanted to share them. Her family was less than supportive, but she persevered. I loved her for it. We spent hours, just sitting in the kitchen at the table talking about books, current events, everything.

I was so proud of her when she finished her degree. By then, The Dead End Guy and I were in trouble. In fact, we broke up. After so many years, it was painful for everyone. The families had become intertwined in a way that was difficult to undo. At one point, she and I had lunch that ended up with both of us in tears. She was such a lovely person and I would miss her, but I had to make room for The Dead End Guy's new girlfriend (and eventual wife).

We all got over it. We all moved on, but I still miss her. I miss her cooking and talking to her. I think of her often and wonder how many grandchildren she has now. She so loved being a grandmother.

I would love to sit at that kitchen table and tell all about what I have done over the last 17 years. Wouldn't she be surprised?

Lorna Doone Cookie Dessert Recipe

1 package Lorna Doone Cookies

1/4 cup butter or margarine melted

Mix and press in 9 x 13 pan. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350, until slightly browned. Let cool.

Mix 2 packages instant vanilla pudding with 1 cup milk. Fold in 1 quart of softened Butter Pecan ice cream.

Pour over cooled crust and refrigerate for 1/2 hour or more, until firm.

Crush 3 Heath Bars and fold into 12 ozs. Cool Whip and spread over pudding mixture.

Let set for another 2 hours. Try to control the urge to eat the entire dessert.

No comments: